Now Available for Pre-Order
Writing & Selling Short Stories & Personal Essays: The Essential Guide to Getting Your Work Published
Write It Short, Sell It Now
Short stories and personal essays have never been hotter–or more crucial for a successful writing career. Earning bylines in magazines and literary journals is a terrific way to get noticed and earn future opportunities in both short- and long-form writing.
Writing & Selling Short Stories & Personal Essays capitalizes on the popularity of these genres by instructing on the two key steps to publishing short works: crafting excellent pieces and successfully submitting them. You’ll learn how to:
- Develop different craft elements–including point of view, character, dialogue, scene writing, and more–specifically for short stories and essays.
- Recognize the qualities of excellent short works, using examples from recently published stories and essays in major journals.
- Understand the business of writing short, from categorizing your work and meeting submission guidelines to networking and submitting to writing contests.
- Master the five-step process for submitting and selling like a pro.
Featuring advice and examples from a multitude of published authors, Writing & Selling Short Stories & Personal Essays is a must-have for any writer’s bookshelf.
Buy Now On:
Windy Lynn Harris’ short stories and essays have been published in magazines across the U.S. and Canada, in places like The Literary Review, 34th Parallel, The Sunlight Press, Literary Mama, and many other journals.
A few recently published stories:
- Jared is Still Working on That – (b)OINK
- Thighs That Stretch Denim to its Limit – Gravel
- What Happens Next – The Sunlight Press
- Juniper – GFT Press
- Dear Quiche, I’d Like an Apology – Literary Mama
- Mrs. Anderson’s Jesus – Pithead Chapel
- A Mustang or a Porche – Arcadia-Online Sundries
- The Ski Rope – Toasted Cheese
As Seen In
WINDY HAS HAD TWO LONG-RUNNING COLUMNS PUBLISHED OVER THE YEARS, AS WELL AS ESSAYS, SHORT STORIES, AND NONFICTION ARTICLES. HER WRITING HAS BEEN SEEN ONCE (AND MAYBE DOZENS OF TIMES) IN THE FOLLOWING PUBLICATIONS:
- 34TH PARALLEL
- 400 WORDS
- ABSOLUTE WRITE
- ARCADIA-ONLINE SUNDRIES
- CALLING AMERICA
- CAHOOTS MAGAZINE
- CRACK THE SPINE
- FIRST DAY PRESS
- GFT PRESS
- HUMOR PRESS
- LITERARY MAMA
- LIVING MAGAZINE
- LONG STORY SHORT
- MOM WRITERS LIT MAG
- NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS
- PITHEAD CHAPEL
- POOR MOJO’S ALMANAC
- QUIET MOUNTAIN ESSAYS
- RAISING ARIZONA KIDS
- THE CHICK LIT REVIEW
- THE CYNIC
- THE LITERARY REVIEW
- THE REVIEW REVIEW
- THE SUNLIGHT PRESS
- TOASTED CHEESE